Sunday, February 6, 2011

road therapy / knut & watch them die

Knut
Terraformer
2006 / Hydra Head

Watch Them Die
Watch Them Die
2003 / Century Media

Some pretty harsh shit on my recent road trips. Maybe compensation for a pretty calm week, with a few exciting interviews (Nick from Young Widows was great, and their new album is awesome! I'll talk about it soon) and a couple of nice meetings with friends. It was precisely after a calm afternoon with coffee and nerding out over the latest couple of Decibel issues that I decided to shatter the calm with Knut's 'Terraformer'. I've been a huge fan of the Swiss band for a while now, and while writing up my latest top 10 I realized I hadn't listened to them in a while. 'Terraformer' is my favourite album of theirs (and it was dirt cheap on Amazon for some reason when I bought it, five bucks or so), intricate, complex, very atmospheric and noisy as hell sometimes. Their show at SWR a couple of years ago is still etched in my memory as one of the greatest shows in that festival's long and prestigious history.

Watch Them Die are much more conventional than that, the Oakland five-piece offer straight up thrashy death metal in the vein of early The Haunted (whose new album is frankly disconcerting, more on that in a few days, probably), and their debut is just a cool record to drum along to on the steering wheel on those long boring highways. Fourth song 'The Struggle' and its percussive pace is particularly crushing. I have no idea what's up with this band nowadays, lost track of them after the second album and a quick visit to Metal Archives reveals no other new info.

Any suggestions for tomorrow's road trip?

No comments:

Post a Comment