Friday, March 25, 2011

30 day song challenge / day 06 - a song that reminds you of somewhere

Day 06 - A song that reminds you of somewhere
Samiam - She Found You

I went to Madrid for a few days just to hang out there sometime in the summer of 1997, and of course my first stop was the sorely missed Madrid Rock record shop at the Gran Via (a small aside to the 12 people from Madrid that have visited this blog this year - ¿coño, que ha pasado con la mejor tienda de discos de España?). It wasn't the first time and it sure wasn't the last time I shopped there, but one album in particular that I purchased in that occasion stayed with me in a very special way. I already knew Samiam, I had 'Soar' which is great, but I had read cool reviews of 'You Are Freaking Me Out' (on Terrorizer, of all places!) and I was curious.

As a result, my Discman (man, there's something I don't miss, unlike my Walkman) didn't play anything else to me during the whole trip. Samiam's melodic yet subtle punk rock, the morose lyrics, the unique voice of Jason Beebout, everything about that album resonated deeply within me. It's still one of my all-time favourites. As always with these things, I don't automatically think of Madrid if I listen to the album, but it does often bring up images of walking around town while listening to it over and over and over. I could have chosen any song, but 'She Found You' has a proper video and it's one of my favourites, so there.

No comments:

Post a Comment