Tuesday, May 10, 2011


Did you miss the sorry sight of cool people being subjected to obnoxious questions, over a few minutes of awkward embarrassment? No? Who cares, I'll post it anyway. The latest victim is none other than Pedro Roque, the first countrymen I've managed to convince to take this beating. Pedro is a good friend and total kickass photographer, as you can see from his flickr account, which is full of musical photographic goodness. If you're in a band, hire him now for your next photoshoot, you won't regret it. If he doesn't want to do it, hire me instead then. If I don't want to do it either, it's because your band sucks. Give up.

1. Obvious question for starters - when did this photo disease strike you?
I've had this disease since I was very young, I've always been an enthusiast about photos, I liked spending some film on school field trips and whatnot... but it really struck me for real about five years ago when I started following some friends' bands and decided to save some change to buy a digital camera.

2. Did those first photos suck badly? What equipment did you use back then?
Haha, yeah, the first photos were nothing special, but they were enough to help friends... the equipment I had didn't have anything to do with what I have now, a Nikon D80 with a Nikkor 18-135 3.5-5.6!

3. I've never seen you with great big cannons, and I find your photos infinitely more interesting than those taken by many people who break their backs carrying backpacks full of expensive junk. Do you think super photo equipment is a bit overrated?
Yeah, I do. In my opinion you don't have to have high-end equipment to take quality pictures. I wouldn't mind having better material in my hands, but my current finances don't allow that and I have to make do with what I have... sometimes it boggles my mind to see some "boys" with high-end material and making ZERO use of what they have!

4. In various states of sobriety, you've told me a few times recently that you're "the punk photographer," hence the title I gave you up there. Discuss.
Hahaha, that's true! It's all about attitude! I'm a guy with little formal training in this, I just took a basic mini-course and from then on I learned from studying other people's photography... and it's the equipment thing again, I have what I have and I make do with it. So it's all very D.I.Y! One other thing is the fact that I'm one of the few photographers who hangs around for the "afterhours", to take photos of the degradation, quite often also participating in it, as you surely noticed during SWR...
[I noticed, but I might not remember everything. Ahem.]

5. On the subject of sobriety, do you find the lack of it affects the results of your photos positively or negatively? I confess I've taken photos totally off my head and some of them are among the best I've taken. I try not to make a correlation...
That's a good question... I've reached the conclusion that I can have good results both ways, it all depends on the feeling of the show. Lately I haven't had many sober gigs, which probably means that it does affect the "creative process"!


6. You're probably the first photographer I've ever seen to take photos while stagediving. What other crazy goals can you still have beyond that?
Tough question. I think I've achieved all those goals! And I've been lucky that my camera hasn't suffered worse consequences. But I don't know... maybe setting the timer, throwing the camera in the air, stagediving and catching it from there. I think I'm inventing a new extreme sport.
[from punk photographer to jackass photographer, one small step!]

7. Would you be able to do a session with D'ZRT or some hideous shit like that for a lot of money?
Yeah, I totally would! You have to make a living, unfortunately. Worse that could happen would be for D'ZRT to look like Arcturus!
[I'm sure Sverd just felt a little flash of pain in his heart]

8. What was your favourite show to photograph, ever?
I've had over 350 bands gone through my lens, so that's a tough one... I'll pick Municipal Waste in Corroios, not just because I managed good shots of the band, but also great ones of people flying around and slapping each other! It was a difficult "birth", but I like the more fucked up shows, they're more exciting despite the risks you take with your equipment.

9. So have you ever destroyed any equipment? On that very same Municipal Waste show I broke a 1500€-worth Canon EF 24-105mm f/4. WHILE PACKING IT, AFTER TAKING PHOTOS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MOSHPIT. Talk about lame. On the last SWR I also broke my Nissin flash, some random stagediver fell on me during Ratos de Porão. Do I win the money-burning competition?
You certainly win that one, I've never broken anything, haha! Luckily, I've only had bruises and a pair of broken glasses. The only thing that I've had broken, and quite recently too, was my SB-600 flash, but because of a burnt wire.

10. Right, I'm depressed now, so enough about photos then. Give us your coolest five albums of the year so far, please.
In no particular order:
Primordial - Redemption At The Puritans Hand
Deafheaven - Roads To Judah
Wormrot - Dirge
Graveyard - Hisingen Blues
Trap Them - Darker Handcraft

And thanks for the interview, mister |m| ...we'll see each other during some festival's degradation!
[you're spotting a pattern here, aren't you, dear reader?]

No comments:

Post a Comment